- 1 tablespoon EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped or grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup mixed chopped herbs, such as chives, parsley and dill
- Lemon zest
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds French-cut green beans
- 1 1/2 cups fried onion pieces, homemade or store-bought
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high. Add the EVOO and butter, and sauté shallots and garlic until fragrant and soft. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the flour over top of the soften shallots and garlic, and cook about 1 minute. Stir in the buttermilk, sour cream and cream cheese; reduce until thick and creamy looking, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chopped fresh herbs and lemon zest, salt and pepper.
While ranch sauce is thickening, blanch the green beans: Bring 2 inches of water to a boil in a large saucepot. Salt it and cook the beans for 2-3 minutes. Drain and shock in ice water.
Add green beans to the creamy ranch sauce and toss to combine. Pour into a medium-size casserole dish and top with fried onions. Bake for 45 minutes, or until bubbly and brown.